Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Waiting Game

So today we went in for the transfer. I think we were all a little nervous, and I was working myself up thinking about the procedure and wondering - Uh Oh, is there an IV involved? Is there bloodwork that needs to be done today? Is Sally going to send me home with more and bigger needles? What does a catheter feel like? Basically- is there any poking that will take place and how terrible will that be? This is another superpower of mine - I am the world's best worrier. I can make a problem out of nothing in record speed. Which is strange, because I also have a very positive outlook on things and try to always look at the bright side. I know, sounds like two different people, but that's me.

We got to the lab and got all checked in. Then we were taken to the transfer room and I was handed my large paper towel and told to undress from the waist down. Why do they give us those big paper towels anyway? Really? It's not covering anything. Guys have to turn their head and cough every now and again, but yearly - we have to put on paper towel blankets and put the feet up in stirrups. Ugh. Sorry - I'm off topic. So, anyway, I cover up with the towel and wait for the doctor. Ok - another complaint about these exams and then we will get back to the transfer. Why is it that they ask you to get naked and sit on this table that has no support, and then you wait so long trying to sit up because you don't want to look eager like all up in the stirrups when they walk in, but you don't wanna lay there with your feet dangling off the end of the table, so your only choice is to kill your back by sitting all hunched over on this table waiting. Sometimes you think about getting up to stretch or something, but you just know that the minute you get up to do that - in the doctor will walk and get a full moon shot. Ok - done venting about doctors, women visits, and paper towels. So, the doc comes in and talks to us about the embryos. We have two Level 1 embryos, which are the best grade and he recommends that we place them both. I'm nervous about this because I envision 2 embryos splitting into 4 embryos and me turning into a blob that can no longer walk. The doctor says that will not happen. He says there is less than a 1% chance that the embryos will split, so the most we are looking at is twins. I proceed to make a deal with the guys that if more than two children are swimming around at Casa de Jenny for 9 months - they will be paying for my lipo suction, tummy tuck, and boob lift (the mommy makeover). They agreed, the doctor witnessed this, and I'm putting it in writing so you all know this is the agreement, and they can't get out of that commitment.

So, we have a discussion about my panic questions and about what will happen during the procedure. I'm put at ease, and it's go time. The doctor inserts a catheter and then sends those two little embryos right into my gorgeous uterus. Let's hope they love the space so much they decide to stay!! :) It only took about 15 minutes and wasn't painful at all. Now it's time to wait and see what happens.

Our nurse, Sally, came in to visit and to listen to me gripe at her about all of the shots and why I have to continue them, and why she's sending me to the vampires 3 TIMES in the next 2 weeks for goodness sakes! I think if I'm with child, I need my blood, but apparently they need it more. Grrrr. So, I am told to go in Thursday to have my progestrone level checked. I said, "Why?" - as any non-needle lover would. I wanna know if this is really necessary, of course. Sally's response - "So that we can see if the shots you've been taking are working." Come again? You mean, I could be poking myself for reasons unknown and this stuff isn't even doing anything? She says she will call and let me know the results. I tell her that she will not want to call me if the verdict is that the shots aren't doing their job. She might want to send that in a letter because there will be four letter words involved. I know how her phone calls go....I see more hormones and needles in my future. Sally thinks I'm a pincushion. I let her get away with this because I really do love her, and I'm keeping the goal in mind. She says I will do a blood draw on September 5th that will tell us if we have a positive pregnancy. Yay!! I know that will be a big Yes! Because I'm thinking positive. My friend, Brooke, told me that I'm supposed to picture the embryos attaching and growing, so I'm visualizing my hardest! So, after we get the positive pregnancy hcg level - we are done with bloodwork, right? Noooooo, now you know better than that!! Ha! Two days later, let's check it again just to be sure that number is doubling. Well, why not? I'm not sure why we can't have faith in the pee stick test. It worked for all of my kids and there was no pain, and a souvenir stick to remember the moment! But, nope, they want my blood. Then, they may need more bloodwork, so I have 2 open-ended lab orders for that nonsense. I sound bitter, I know. I'm full of $#@*ing hormones people, cut me some slack! :)

Marc is trying to complicate things by jaunting off to England next week, while Michael, Craig, and I anxiously await the news of the blood test results. *sigh* So, we're gonna have to wait for world traveler to get his bum back to the states to share the news. Thanks Marc!!! ;)

My instructions are to lay around today and tomorrow letting the embryos sink in and get comfy. So, I've taken a nap and I've watched the entire first season of Walking Dead. Thank goodness for Netflix! :) The nice thing is, Craig has to do everything, and I can sit and laugh at him because he doesn't really know what all needs done and he says - "I've done nothing but run these kids to practices and pick them up tonight!" WELCOME to my world, darling! :) It's fun to torture and punish husbands, because of the entertainment value, of course, and because they really do deserve it.

Thanks again for all of the positive comments, texts, calls, emails, FB messages and posts, etc. that were sent today. It really does mean a lot!! You'll be graced with a guest post from Marc or Michael or both in the next day or two so that they can share the process through their eyes. I'll be laying around here visualizing, resting, and trying to give these embryos the best chance possible to become little people (little person, hopefully - but it feels bad to root for only one of them, right? - I'm a teacher and a mom, I have to root for everyone equally, it's just my nature)

So, news to come on or around September 8th, or whenever Marc's precious ass is back to share the news. Keep sending positive vibes, prayers, thoughts, etc. Love to you all! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment